Wednesday, April 15, 2009

the entry about a friend , nothing about knitting

I went to visit a friend tonight. She has been in pain for years and never have been able to find relief or a Doctor that has been able to diagnose a definite illness. She has been told to lose weight, exercise more, and just deal with the pain.

In the last few months she started to lose her balance, experience numbness down her left leg. She found a Doctor that listened and she was able to get into a neurologist. She is being tested for Multiple Sclerosis, the Doctor is 90% sure that's what it is , but more test need to be done for a definite diagnosis.

I love my friend, and will be there for her as much as she and her family will let me. I just wish it wasn't her being the one diagnosed with a degenerative disease. After leaving her home tonight, I thought of another friend, of my mom and my nephew, people whose' bodies have failed before they were "supposed to". People who despite adversity and trials have carried on and done their best to live live as well as they could. I know no mater what I do for them it can't make up for the examples they are to me.

I've tried to be there to help when they've needed a smile, encouragement, a trip to the doctor's office, even a silly stupid joke now and then. I know I can't take away the pain, and I can't take her place. I just wish I could.

My friend is okay with the diagnosis, a little discouraged that the first round of treatments didn't show a huge improvement in her life . I am grateful that after so many years of suffering and going to doctors that there is an answer and a treatments for her. I am glad she is still here and is my friend.

1 comment:

Jillsknit said...

Sorry to hear about your friend. My best friend had MS for many years with minimal effects. Whenever we went on trips she would have a sick day from pushing it too much but her attitude made a huge difference. She's no longer here because of a different medical problem and I miss her terribly. If you ever want to talk MS friend to MS friend - I'm here.