Wednesday, September 8, 2010

In honor of Labor Day ( a couple of days late)

Ahh. To be young again. I always look forward to the long holiday weekend. I always forget to remeber what Labor day is about.

This pic was taken while my husband and I were visiting my dad who was on the picket line. Dad drove bus for Trailways for over 25 years, until Greyhound took over Trailways in 1987. BEcuase of some labor -law violations the union started a nation-wide strike in March 1990. It took 38 years for the labor dispute to be settled. During this time my dad worked night shift as a security guard at a local mall, got his realtors license, and tried a couple of other different jobs. All while spending some time each week on the picket line.
Driving was the career he loved. He was so happy to go back to work when the stike was finally settled and even happier when the union was able to restore his seniority and unpaid back wages.

I'm so proud of my dad and of how hard he worked to make a good life for me and my family.

No comments: